Getting Organized with a Kitchen Calendar

Recently, our mornings have been a chaotic mess that end with me arriving to work way, way late. Part of our issue is related to living with a preschooler. I mean, he's four, so of course he wants to "just do this one thing first," or find a particular toy for show-and-tell, or splash around with the water while brushing his teeth, resulting in a wet shirt and last minute wardrobe change. Those slow poke distractions are part of the struggle, but I think they'd feel less irritating if I had my sh*t together to begin with. So, I've resolved to start waking up earlier and also to get more organized. I thought it might help to have a designated family calendar and place for writing to-do's and shopping lists, so I put together this kitchen calendar / mini-command center.
kitchen calendar family command centerFor this project, I painted an old cork board and we mounted it beside the fridge with a chalkboard positioned below. B loves the chalkboard, he "writes" notes and grocery lists on it. Earlier today, he was wiping it off and said,"I need to move this chair so I can set my towel on it." Hmm, good idea, kid! During his nap, I sewed a button and piece of ribbon to a cloth napkin and screwed a teacup hook into the chalkboard frame. Voila, a place to set his towel!
kitchen calendar family command center

kitchen calendar family command centerI'm hoping this little command center will help us stay organized and get out the door in a timely fashion. Fingers crossed!

P.S. - Look who snuck up on the sofa while I was taking photos! Sneaky 'ole gal. She's normally very camera shy so I snapped a quick photo before shooing her off.

This post is linked up with:


Wild About You - Free Printable Valentine

Being somewhat health conscious, I've been encouraging candy free options for B's preschool celebrations. For example, instead of bringing cupcakes for his birthday treat, we put together individual bags of Boom Chicka Pop kettle corn. I know, I'm that mom. Just one step away from handing out toothbrushes on Halloween! For Valentine's day Last year, B gave out sticker sheets and we had a great time deciding which stickers were for each friend.
Free Printable "Wild About You" ValentineThis year, I made these "I'm Wild About You, Valentine" cards and printed them on white card stock that we had on hand. Then I used a hole punch and string to attach a menagerie of little plastic animals to the cards. B had so much fun helping me tie the little strings and telling me which animal each friend would like best. Too cute.
Free Printable "Wild About You" Valentine
I wish I could say these cards are an original idea, but there are tons of these on Pinterest, this is just my take on it. I also made a free printable version that you can download here. Happy Valentine's Day!